Sep 22, 2009

Feels like an Arby's night

Rounding out the third of the second tier characters is Elaine's on again/off again boyfriend Puddy. First appearing in The Fusilli Jerry and The Face Painter (both 1995), Puddy disappeared for a couple years and wasn't seen again until the final season, appearing in almost half of the shows that season. Here a are a few examples of of his classic deadpan delivery.

The Face Painter (1995)

Puddy: Hey, great dip. You made this?
Elaine: No, it's from the store.
Puddy: Oh. Hey, how come people don't have dip for dinner? Why is it only a snack, why can't it be a meal, you know? I don't understand stuff like that.
Elaine: David? David, I think we aught to talk.
Puddy: Alright, that's cool.
Elaine: David, I don't think we should see each other anymore.
Puddy: You gotta be kidding, how come?
Elaine: Well, you see, David, you're a face painter.
Puddy: Yeah, that's right.
Elaine: Well, it's not that I don't like you, but, well to be perfectly honest, I'm just having some trouble getting past the face painting.
Puddy: Well, alright, so you don't like the face painting, I just won't paint it anymore.
Elaine: Yeah, but you like the face painting.
Puddy: Well, I don't need to do it. It's not like a habit or anything.
Elaine: Oh. You mean you'd stop it for me?
Puddy: Yeah, that's right.
Elaine: That's so, that's so sweet.
Puddy: Alright, I gotta go home and get changed before the game. I'll be back, we'll make out.

The Dealership (1998)

Jerry: So, Putty, you're selling cars now. No more being a grease monkey.
Puddy: I don't much care for that term.
Jerry: Oh.
Puddy: Ever see a monkey put together an engine?
Jerry: No... I saw one who used sign language.
Puddy: ...Yeah... I saw that... Coco.
Jerry: Yeah, Coco.
Puddy: Yeah, Coco... That chimp's all right. High five.

The Reverse Peephole (1998)

Elaine: What's this? What happened to your fur?
Puddy: I saw Jerry wearing his. He looked like a bit of a dandy. Check this out. 8 ball. You got a question, you ask the 8 ball.
Elaine: So you're going to wear this all the time?
Puddy: All signs point to yes.

4 comments: